Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ski trip part 2

With Sara working on Monday, Jack having day care already paid for, but Chance and I having MLK day off, decided after church on Sunday to head up to the Highlands, NC area for whatever snow boarding and skiing we could arrange. I forgot my flip video camera so used the disposable camera in the glove compartment for the trip pictures. This worked out well in the end considering that the ski slope at Sapphire Valley only had a fairly short run. It was perfect for Chance to really polish up his skiing and get quite comfortable on the slope. It was also good for me to try to learn how to snow board for the first time. The young ladies at the checkout tried to warn me that my skiing experience in the past would work against me on the snow board, but I didn't believe them. It was a good thing I didn't have the flip video because I fell all the time and got banged up. So Chance got tired of waiting for me at the bottom of the hill but I couldn't keep up. On one run I made him wait so I could get a picture of him coming down. On the way up, stopped by Scaly Mountain to go snow tubing and that was a blast. It was very different from HawksNest which is also awesome, but fun. And the lines were not bad at all which helped a lot. Anyway, they have a Hampton Inn 0.3 miles from the slope which I was able to use hotel points from my Amex card to book. Only complaint there was the indoor pool was too cold for me to handle. Saphire Valley with no lift lines and a perfect easy environment to learn to snow board while a 5 yr old gets confident with the skiing. Great bbq joint in Cashiers and a great chance to do some father-son bonding time. Here are the pictures:













































































No comments: